Tuesday, 27 August 2013

PCT....

And then we started our University Degree in The Art of Understanding The National Health Service System....

1. PCT stands for Political Clap Trap.

We had to have a license for her Growth Hormone, and she was also placed on an anabolic steroid to give her a boost as she was so tiny.

I was not interested in who was paying for Megs treatment, only that she got it.  My anger on having to manage their administration incompetence nearly drove me insane.  I could not, nor did I want to, be bothered with 'Which Care Trust' had to deal with what, or how lucky we were to be offered "SUCH EXPENSIVE" drugs.

I cannot tell you how many Pharmacy Staff I wanted to throttle when we were trying to organise delivery of her Growth Hormone Injections.... *Raised Eyebrows* and sharp intakes of breath regarding the cost of such medicine, from idiots that knew nothing about our lives.  I always made sure I had blue-tac in my pockets and that both hands were firmly in place.  That way I could squeeeeeze the living daylights out of it without serving time in prison.

"I'm afraid we can't get hold of your Growth Hormone this week."
"Can you get it from another company?"
"Yes, but it's EVEN MORE *wide eyes* expensive!"
At this point I can no longer control my hands, and with a steely determination in my eyes, I placed my hands on the counter bringing myself slowly closer to the lady.
"I'm sorry?" I whisper "Did you say my daughter isn't having her treatment, because it's 'too expensive'?"
"And you are whom, in her care plan?" I whisper again, leaning closer....."For the fourth and final time, before I report you, I would like you to get on the phone to Italy and get the Growth Hormone delivered to our house by lunchtime tomorrow.  She has already missed 6 years of treatment for her condition, if she misses another 6 hours I will not be held responsible for my actions. Am I clear?" and with that, I looked down at my hands only to realise that I have two huge gouged balls of blue tac stuck on the ends of my fingers and now to the counter.  Without a second glance, I un-stuck my fingers like a scene from Tom and Jerry, placed the blue-tac back into my pockets and walk out the pharmacy.

Needless to say, the Growth Hormone was delivered to the house from then on, with only the odd delivery issue, and I never EVER had a problem with the lady behind the counter again.

There is a difference between being aggressive and being assertive, it took me a long time to realise that I was being assertive, but I felt like I was being aggressive.  Never before had I needed to fight for something so important and for somebody so dependent on me.  Personally, seething quiet tones work better for me than hysterical shouting.  

I once read a quote that said, "Inaction breeds doubt and fear.  Action breeds confidence and courage.  If you want to conquer fear, do not sit and think about it. Go out and get busy." And I was definitely frightened, but I wasn't going to be a pushover anymore. It was time to man-up and grow some blue tac balls!




4 comments:

  1. Please will you be my mum too Sam? You are a star. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honoured to be part of the Turner family Pat! X

      Delete
  2. Am loving the image of you getting assertive with blue tac on your fingers! I am sure it's not the craziest thing you have had to do. Can't wait to read more. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I will be able to post 'everything'! I am sure some hideous backlash will come of it and I will probably be sectioned at some point!

      Delete