Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Mirror, Mirror, on the wall - You are a mother after all!




So…. Mothers Day will be upon us on Sunday.  I am lucky enough to have all the girls here for dinner, and by all the girls, I mean my daughters - Meg and Daisy, my sister - Lu and my nieces - Alex, Gina and Ivy. I love each and every one of these girls as if she were my own, regardless of relationship.

Being so involved with Turner Syndrome, I am more aware than ever about the heartache that infertility can bring.  After all, even without Turners, I was thrown in the bottomless pit of despair on more than one occasion.  Five miscarriages can take it's toll, both mentally and physically.  I needed a helping hand to have Meg (and lord knows where Daisy came from…..).  But still, I am aware that the choice of having children being taken away can be a cruel and heartbreaking thing.

Ofcourse, not everybody wants to have children, and so assumption and questioning must not be spoken freely.  I have several friends that live fulfilled and enriched lives without their own offspring, but it is absolutely necessary, that these 'Aunties' are thanked just as much on Mothers Day.

The woman who founded Mothers Day, wasn't herself a 'mother'.  She was hopelessly devoted to her own mother, and spent years pursuing a national holiday, succeeding in 1914.

Just think about those 'Aunties' who have bought shoes that were wanted, lunches bought, ballet lessons provided, or just times that have made someone feel special, someone who has smoothed things over when things have been fraught with tension and tears, the one who sat through dreadful school assemblies/concerts/home plays and really looked like she was having a good time!

Special 'Animal Aunties' that look after and nurture animals (Daisy would kill me if I didn't mention them!).

What about those 'Aunties' that look after the sick, disabled and elderly, without any question that they may be busy with their own lives, it is almost expected that they step in and take over, without any special thanks……

These women are mothers at heart, even though children did not come to them.  I want to personally thank them, because they show up when the rest of us can't or won't - too busy with our own children, or because we can't figure out how to get it all done.  Let's have a word of thanks to those that get involved, not for the sake of their children, but for the sake of yours and mine.

I am amazed at the amount of 'mothers' who put unnecessary pressure on their children to produce offspring, and that grandchildren are a given right.

Let us love what we have, whatever the relationship - Grannies, Mummies, 'Aunties', Daughters, Sisters, Friends and choose to celebrate that, instead of focusing on what we think we 'should have'.  I relish the day that Daisy fulfils her maternal pull - and brings round Gary The Gecko (you think I'm joking…), and whatever is in store for Meg, Leona, Alex, Gina, and Ivy I take with great satisfaction that somewhere along the line, they will remember my fierce loyalty and love that I gave unreservedly - albeit a tiny bit crazy.

Happy Crazy Lady Sunday - aka 'Mothers Day xxxxx








No comments:

Post a Comment