It was at this point, that I remember saying to Craig, "Oh God, please let it not be that." He just looked very uneasy. ALL I could see was the 'infertility' issue. I put it in a box and squashed it into submission, not daring to believe she would have Turners, whilst deep down, I knew.
So, my first conversation with a woman who was to become one of my very best friends, and whom I hold in the highest esteem came about.... On the Friday I rang The Turner Syndrome Support Society...
"Hello, Turner Syndrome Support Society..."
"Errrm, Hello. (pause). I think my daughter might have Turner Syndrome."
"Ok. Have you spoken to an Endocrinologist?" (THAT word again!!!)
"No, We can't get an appointment for another four months."
"Where do you live?"
"Rugby, Warwickshire"
"You live in the catchment for one of the best Endocrinologists in the country, Jeremy Kirk"
"Does he do private consultations?"
"Let me check............ yes he does."
At this point, I thought I might as well push my luck completely, I had nothing to lose.
"Right, can I send you a photo of my daughter and ask your opinion?"
"Errrm, yes you can, but I can't diagnose your daughter from a photo!"
"I accept that, but you are probably the most qualified person who will be able to tell." (I wasn't taking no for an answer)
*sends photo over*
"Actually, she does look like she might have Turners."
"Thank you, so much. I will ring the secretary of Mr Kirk and let you know."
I will be forever grateful for Arlenes support. She will never know just how much comfort she gave me that day. After searching for years for an answer to my justified queries, here was a lady who gave her knowledge and compassion completely and without question.
On that Friday, I rang Mr Kirk at Birmingham Childrens Hospital and asked for a private appointment. We were given on for the following Monday. Bloods were taken and he said that it was probable that she had Turners or possibly Noonans Syndrome. Ten days later I had a phone call.
"Mrs Cubitt?"
"Yes."
"It's Jeremy Kirk."
"Oh hello."
"Right, there's no easy way of saying this, but Megs Karyotype has come back, and I'm sorry to say, she does have Turners."
"Oh"
"Look, she has Mosaic Turners, so it may mean that she won't have as many issues as a 'Classic Turners' girl would have"
"Oh"
And then I start to cry.
"Come and see me next week, and we can have a proper chat about everything, I am so sorry to be the bearer of such news."
"It's ok (sob sob), I am in a way, relieved. I thought I might be going round the bend... (huge gulps and sobbing)."
"No you're not, and I will help you in everyday possible."
"Thank you."
"Please don't be upset, I will see you next week."
"Ok, Thank you."
"See you soon."
And so we went away on the Friday to the Lake District, because we thought it would be a good idea to get our heads together before we told anybody.
Lake District.
Peeing down with rain.
We were all in one room.
Couldn't talk about it, because Meg was in the same room.
I wanted to kill everybody.
And then we came back, and I cried.
You are a writer Sam. Did you know that? Beautifully written- especially the ending.
ReplyDeletexxx
Thank you Pat. I am just going to write from my heart. An honest account for all to see - warts and all! X
Delete