Wednesday, 1 January 2014

I just ran my third marathon this morning……Just kidding, I'm on my third cupcake.




So…. A new year…. A new me? I wonder…… what would I change about myself if I could?  Is it all about body image, or does it go deeper than that?

There are lots of things I am not happy about with my appearance, and as the years have gone by I seem to have slipped into the skin of an imposter!  However, this is not something I wish to push onto my children, because to them, I am a beautiful mummy, whatever my shape and size.  Is it right to alter their perception into the world of shallow vanity?

There was a time, when I was a hot chick! (I know….difficult to believe when looking at me now), the 80's suited me, I loved the permed blonde hair, so sprayed with Harmony hairspray that when the wind caught it, the whole scalp moved as one….the tight black dresses, and heels that if I wore now, would give me a nosebleed and serious knee swelling.  My boobs stood up on their own? I know! Amazing!  It was a time when everyone dressed up to go out, and we danced all night. 'Disco' was as popular as a Starbucks Frappuccino….

When I was pregnant with Meg, I was back into my jeans within a week of giving birth,  and lost so much weight from then on (mainly due to a lack of sleep), that my body image didn't even come into my mindset (I was slightly crazy).  I felt such a failure as a mother, that nothing mattered outside my inability to be able to get my beautiful baby daughter to sleep and stop screaming 24/7.  Sleep deprivation does something very strange to your wellbeing and rational thinking.  This was made even worse by the fact that Meg wasn't diagnosed until MUCH later, and so during this period (which was years…..) I was led to believe that what she required was "A good routine and a no-nonsense approach", which is fine if you have an 'average' baby without serious health implications….. Of course, Meg didn't play ball with this notion, and so my standards about my appearance started to slip.

When Daisy came along, I looked like Violet Beauregarde (except less blue…), but was so happy that this baby slept. I became completely absorbed in being a Mummy, that I didn't care how I looked - MY BABY SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT! TAAAAA DAAAA!

Friends manage to stay beautiful and youthful.  Their hair appointments regularly kept, adorned in nice clothes with evenings out - keeping them spritely and as neat as a Kensington Garden.  Where as somewhere along the line, I started to look a hedgerow in a disused railway line, out of control and unruly.

However, something amazing has happened during the last year.  What I thought mattered, actually doesn't….  Through everything, I am still smiling, happy and content.  Am I bothered that I've put on weight? No.  That my grey hair comes through quicker than a Quick-Fit-Fitter? No. That I am living in clothes that are practical and comfortable? No.

I have learnt that to keep sane, something has to give.  You can't be perfect in EVERY way, and those that you think are perfect let me tell you.  They're not.

Spending the majority of the last 4 years in hospitals, and balancing the care out equally with my other daughter, keeping our home in some sort of 'normal' state, and good food on the table, has meant that my looks have had to take a step back.

One day I'll have the time and inclination to return to that self-caring mode, but for the moment, I think I'm not doing too badly.  I know my hair is brushed.  I'm clean, and comfy, and able to pack a hospital bag within 2 minutes, whilst taking a home made meal out of the freezer for the others, and sorting Daisy out.  I am kind to my friends.

My role models are not media grabbers, but real men, women and children, from whom I have learnt valuable lessons.  Be confident, patient and kind.  These are basic virtues everyone should seek.  Nobody's perfect, everyone, including role models make mistakes.  Just do your best.  Be the best you can be.  Despite their mistakes, good role models earn the trust of those who believe in them.

Move over Twiggy…. The Real Mama Cubitt's coming through!


3 comments:

  1. I so identify with your blog. It make fantastic reading. Can I pinch your frog picture xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Jan! The contented frog is for all to share <3 Can I bring a cake and see you soon?

      Delete
  2. I always say that no matter how perfect you look on the outside your insides remain the same. It took me a while to realise that.. but at the end of the day the people who love you most love you for who you are not what you look like. If people are only interested in you cos you are perfectly turned out then they are shallow. I say hooray for the frazzled mummies with grey hair and no make up on who can go out looking like they just woke up :) there's truth in not hiding behind a perfect exterior :)

    ReplyDelete