Wednesday, 4 September 2013
How Drug Companies Get Children To Choose Their Products.
In between this 'renovation drama' and the next (oh yes, there's more…) we had an appointment at the Birmingham Childrens Hospital at the Endocrinology Clinic.
Craig, Meg and I went, as I thought it would be better without mental Daisy running up an down the corridors like she was Sebastian Coe on speed.
When we arrived, we were shown into a room, to choose our 'weapon of choice'. WEAPON of choice? I had no idea what the bloody hell the nurse was on about, and even when presented with about 8 different choices of Growth Hormone delivery systems, the horrific truth still didn't dawn on me.
"I want that one." said Meg.
"Okay… and why have you chosen that one?" I asked (like I had a clue!)
"Because it's purple, and I love purple." she said, bouncing up and down, off and on the bed…off….on….off…on…off…on
"….and mum…. MUM….you can change the wrapping!"…off….on…off…on….
Angela, our Endocrine Nurse, came back into the room and asked if we had any questions. Craig and I looked at each other like we were from different planets. What questions could you ask?
Obviously used to the complete disarray parents were thrown into in such circumstances, she took complete control of the situation, and gave us a 'pack' with all the relevant details in it.
"So… your Healthcare At Home Nurse - Helen will be coming on Tuesday, once the license and funding authorisation has been faxed over."
First pack handed to me…
"And this is your copy of the drug company that will be supplying the growth hormone, and their information pack."
Second pack…
"If you are going abroad, you will need a copy of you license and written details from your Endocrine Consultant to allow you to travel with the growth hormone. This is about that."
Third pack...
"Here is my number, you can contact me 24 hours a day. Any queries or side effects that you're concerned about, you must ring straight away."
Fourth pack…
"These are side effects that can be potentially dangerous."
Fifth pack...
"Meg, this is a CD for your computer and this is Max the dog (hands her a cuddly toy from the drug company). Actually, I know you have a sister, so would you like one for her too, so she doesn't feel left out?"
"Yes! YES! Y E S!" She replied, like she had got all six numbers on the lottery.
"All sharps - syringes, and vials will be sent by courier, you must keep the vials in the fridge, if they are out at room temperature any longer than four hours must be disposed of, as they will be unusable."
My stomach flipped. Meg stopped for a second and looked at her.
"Mummy will probably have to do your injections for a bit Megan, because the pens (delivery systems) are quite big, and awkward to hold."
"Hmm, okay" she replied, and turned back to her imaginary conversation she was having with the dogs.
"And most importantly Mum (Craig obviously wasn't sitting by me then…..not!), she mustn't miss a single day of treatment."
Oh right, no pressure then.
She showed me where to inject. And then came the lesson in how to use the 'delivery system'. This came complete with TWO A4 sheets of paper with instructions on it. I was never going to learn this. Craig gave me a look that said, "Don't even ask me." My brain was going into overload.
Leaving the hospital, I was in a complete daze, Craig was in 'male denial' and wasn't even going to acknowledge how to administer the injections, and Meg skipped to the car with two stuffed dogs, and excitement that 'Helen' would be coming later in the week for her first injection.
"Are you nervous?" I asked her
"Naaaa Mum, Can we have a McDonalds on the way home?"
Oh how ignorance is bliss.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment