Tuesday, 3 September 2013

Size is matter of perspective.




That feeling I had when walking into the shop to tell Craig, must be what having a double expresso must be like (this is coming from someone who only has boiled water, and if I want to be really daring  have….Camomile!), my arms and eyes were twitching like I had eaten a packet of 24 Pro-plus tablets.

"It's coming today." I said
"What?" he said, like I had just completed an internet shop.
"DOH…..The lift?!" my eyes nearly rolled into the back of my head.
"Where's it going to go?" 
"Do you want the friggin' lift or not!" I shouted,  "Put it in the front reception area of the shop!" *Stomps off in a massive hysteria*

I realise now that Craig was so traumatised by the whole thing, that his poor brain and emotional wellbeing were well and truly shot.  I know he won't mind me saying that, because it's true.

"We'll pick it up in the van." I said, as though I had to spell out the obvious.
He looked at me like I was a 'simple woman'…… "Hardly" he starts to smile, "There are serious weights in the lift, we'll need a proper flat-bed truck."
"Well book one then, oh, and find a forklift truck driver…."
His look said it all, I was a certified mad woman.

By 1pm, Craig had indeed hired a truck, and sorted out a forklift truck driver.  I made my way down to the industrial estate to meet the 'boys'.

Pulling into the unit, I realised with horror the actual size of the lift, it was huge!  Obviously I have absolutely no perception of size.  In an empty 'lock-up' it looked quite small, however, next to the forklift truck, the lift, was in fact - massive.  There was no way this was going to fit into the shop reception…. and to make matters worse, the fork lift truck driver turned up with his arm and hand in plaster after just having some serious surgery on it.

"Oh my god, you can't drive the fork lift truck!"
"Ahhh, don't worry about it, I only need the one arm, we'll be fine!"
FINALLY! Somebody willing to help us, whatever the circumstances.  I could have kissed him (I did actually smother him with grateful kisses when he had finished).  

The lift was loaded onto the truck, and we drove in proud convoy back to the shop.  By this time, euphoric hysteria took over, and when we came up the street, we were greeted by Craig and the rest of the 'team' waiting outside.  Craig just looked at the truck, his eyebrows nearly reaching the top of his head.

"Yeeeeeaaah Hawwwwww!" I shouted out of the window, "We could always take it home!"

(Luckily Craig had spoken to someone who rented some space in a lock-up over the road from the shop)

We went home that night, laughing at the madness of the day, and although Craig was still having a really hard time regarding the unfairness of it all, that feeling of achievement stayed with us for quite some time.

3 comments: