Thursday, 5 September 2013

This won't hurt....


"FOR GODS SAKE, PICK YOUR TOYS UP" I hollered down the stairs.  Helen - the Healthcare at home was coming today, to start Megs Growth Hormone Treatment.  I had disinfected the house as if it were a public operating theatre, (in the same way I hoover and clean before we go away on holiday for the burglars.... Idiot). 

I had even put a dress on. I was well and truly demented.

The door went, and we were faced with a really great Nurse who would be looking after Megs care for the next 3 years.  She was young and funky, but had very little empathy, everything  was  approached like a Corporate Project. My corporate life had long gone, and I wasn't sure I'd be able nor even want it back.

We opted for a 'bottom injection' as it seemed the less fretful - unless you are a control freak like Meg who wants to do and see everything happening to her, this sent her skitsy and upset, which in turn made me cry, and I hated it. Even though the growth hormone treatment was absolutely the best thing to treat her with, giving your child an injection, never mind knowing the possible side effects was so traumatic.

There can be no hesitation when administering injections, this in itself goes against the grain.  If you aren't used to them, and let's be fair, who is? (weirdo) You almost have to put on a show, giving firm and real sympathy but not going overboard with it.

I absolutely hate children not having enough pain relief. Or not having 'magic cream' on if they are phobic of needles.  I cannot see what good that unnecessary 'brave' face can do for you! It's a bit like having to go through child birth with a paracetamol (both of which I have done, bloody pointless...). If you can get magic cream, use it. You won't need it forever. If it comes down to cost please let me know. I managed to get Rugby Hospital stocked up with pain relief spray, I am well adversed in getting correct pain relief. Believe me, if you have to do a medical procedure, which can hurt at varying degrees (depending on your daughter) EVERY night for YEARS, don't be an unnessary 'brave' mummy/daddy, when you aren't having it.  That stress level is a compete waste of energy.

After practising on myself and the very brave Meg, who did shout "OWWW"  a few times, I decided to get some spray, and it look all the pressure off, and the confidence and excitement that grew because it didn't hurt anymore was priceless.

She didn't use the spray for long, and I became a pioneer for pain free injections.

The first time I injected her, I went and cried in the hallway, I wanted to kill Helen. It was not fair. Meg came out and put her beautiful arms around me and said, " Thank goodness I have you fighting my corner mum or there would be a lot of tears at bedtime." By week 4 she didn't need it anymore and I was quick to reply to inadequately qualified (in qualifications and life,....) and opinionated adults about what was right and what was wrong.

For gods  sake, it's your child - do you want to see them in pain? No, so shut up and get the spray/cream. Take it from so a mother who DOES know exactly how you feel (and for the record had to inject myself for a whole year) x x x  Let's celebrate for those wonderful and extremely BRAVE girls who have benefited from taking it! 

AMAZING! 






2 comments:

  1. They truly are amazing. I injected my arm and thought it really hurt. I don't know how they do it xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful brave warriors are what they are Claire, although they don't really have a choice do they? X

    ReplyDelete